Published On: Sat, Aug 12th, 2017 at 7:12pm

Hibs maintain 100% league record with 3-2 win at Ibrox

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Hibs maintained their 100% start to the season with a superb 3-2 win over Rangers following a pulsating but often ill tempered encounter at Ibrox Park this afternoon.

It was first meeting between the sides since the 2016 Scottish Cup final which Hibs won by the same scoreline and the Rangers’ fans were out for revenge.

Neil Lennon made three changes to the starting XI that comfortably disposed of Ayr United in midweek with David Gray, Ryan Porteous and Danny Swanson making way for Paul Hanlon, Steven Whittaker and Vykintas Slivka.

There was a fantastic atmosphere inside Ibrox and Rangers started brightly in front of a full house taking an early lead when Daniel Candeias’ free kick found Alfredo Morelos who headed home from close range.

Former Hibs’ striker Kenny Miller almost doubled Rangers’ lead when his shot was deflected onto the post after some good play by Josh Windass.

Anthony Stokes and James Tavernier were both booked following a flare up as the game threatened to boil over then after a nervy start, Hibs equalised with their first attempt on goal when top scorer Simon Murray cut in from the left and fired in his 10th goal of the season, sparking delight from the travelling support.

Moments later, the home fans were stunned when Ryan Jack was sent off for grabbing Dylan McGeouch  in front of referee John Beaton.

Hibs took advantage of the extra man and took a deserved lead when Murray set up Slivka who fired in an angled shot which struck James Tavernier before ending up in the net.

Just before the break Wes Foderingham produced a fine save from John McGinn to keep the deficit at one goal.

Hibs added a third in the 65th minute after former Juventus midfielder Slivka’s half volley from the edge of the area left Foderingham helpless.

The Rangers’ keeper did well to save from Efe Ambrose’s header and Murray struck the side netting after a one-two with Stokes.

Hibs continued to dominate possession and looked to be cruising to victory but with nine minutes remaining Rangers pulled one back after Tavernier headed in a Danny Wilson cross.

In the dying minutes Darren McGregor was booked for a trip but  Bruno Alves sent the resultant free-kick over the bar.

Rangers: Foderingham, Tavernier, Alves, Cardoso, Hodson, Jack, Dorrans, Windass, Candeias, Miller, Morelos. Subs: Alnwick, Wilson, Herrera, Rossiter, Kranjcar, Holt, Pena

Hibs: Marciano, Whittaker, Hanlon, McGinn, Slivka, McGeouch, S.Murray, Stevenson, Ambrose, Stokes. Subs: Laidlaw, Gray, Fonaine, Matulevicius, Swanson, Shaw, F.Murray.

Referee John Beaton

About the Author

- John graduated from Telford College in 2010 with an HNC in Practical Journalism and since then has worked for the North Edinburgh News, The Southern Reporter, the Irish News Review and the Edinburgh Reporter. In addition he has been published in the Edinburgh Evening News and the Hibernian HC Programme.

%d bloggers like this: