Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Grange and their coach David Knipe celebrated after the Edinburgh side underlined their current dominance of the Scottish game by edging Grove Menzieshill 4-3 to claim a domestic treble.

The newly-crowned Division One champions earned a comfortable victory in the recent play-off Grand Final at Glasgow’s National Hockey Centre, beating the Dundee side 4-0.

But they were pushed hard at the same venue on this occasion by Grove Menzieshill who led 1-0 after 15 minutes through Cameron Golden.

The Edinburgh side levelled after 20 minutes from a quality penalty corner strike which flew low into the left hand corner of the net from former Great Britain squad play Dan Coultas.

And three minutes later, unmarked skipper Cammy Fraser, judged the Man of the Match, put the double champions ahead with a crisply hit reverse stick strike from the top of the D.

Todd Mills (picutured above earlier this season) deflected the ball home high into the net after 45 minutes and five minutes after that Duncan Riddell beat Grove’s goalkeeper at the near post with a low shot to put the cup holders 4-2 ahead.

Rising star Jamie Golden made the Edinburgh side sweat with a penalty corner strike at the fourth attempt with six minutes left.

Knipe, a former Grove player, urged his men to keep control of the ball and their experience and game management saw them through to the final whistle and a historic treble.

It proved a dramatic District Cup Final between Kelburne 2s and Grange 2s with Grange eventually lifting the trophy with a running penalties victory.

Grange 2s looked good early on with Kelburne goalkeeper Logan McClure producing some quality stops to keep the Edinburgh side scoreless.

And it was Kelburne 2s who grabbed a goal against run of play, Ewen Carmichael firing home from a penalty corner after 32 minutes.

Grange equalised in the second-half thanks to a low strike from Marcus O’Brien at a penalty corner but Kelburne went ahead for a second time when Rory McClure netted.

Grange equalised through Alex Riddell inside the final 12 minutes to take the game to running penalties and a shootout eventually saw Grange 2s run out as winners.

The all-Grange affair in the Men’s Reserve Cup final was won by Grange 4s with a 3-1 victory over Grange 3s.

Grange 3s edged the early play in what was a nervy opening to the match. Kieran Berrington was on hand to make it 1-0 to Grange 3s.

Grant Martin levelled and the goal changed the game and Douglas Meikle then scored a double to make it 3-1 to Grange 4s.